Thursday, July 24, 2008

FREAKING OUT

I woke up this morning with the sun shining and the birds chirping. I thought to myself what a beautiful day! Well that all changed rather quickly.

I had planned to go to my classroom today. I wanted to accomplish a long list of "to do's" so I would be ready for my NEW class. (Only 14 days until they arrive!!!)Well you are never going to guess what I saw when I walked in.

My tables were stacked like scaffols against a wall. The room smelled like a wet towel left in the car for a week. (You know that moldy, mildewy smell.) There was trash and coke cans on my desk. (Apparently they needed my room for summer school.:{) And on top of all that.....they pulled a broken, old air and heating unit out.

Don't get me wrong....I am glad to be rid of this metal, dust collecting, space age looking contraption, but it left a huge (about 5 feet) gap in between my bookshelves. The wall behind this contraption is a different color since apparently they painted sometime between 1940 and 2007.

UG! I thought my janitor friend knew about my OCD problems. I know I gave him plenty of hints to my "issues" last year.

Well, I tried to ignore the appearance of things and got started on cleaning off someone else's trash from my desk. I did manage to throw some stuff away and divide all my textbooks. (We will be changing our 4th grade classrooms to self-contained...you know where the teacher keeps the same kids all day.) But THAT WAS IT!!! I just grabbed my keys and left. That big gap was driving me insane! I wanted to go buy some lumber and start building a bookshelf immediatly.

Now, I don't want to go back at all! I have a million things to do in the next couple of days, and I feel like today was just a waste. I wonder how I could sweet talk the hubby into going to my classroom, building a shelf, painting it, and cleaning everything up.....hmmm, don't its going to happen.

John Deere's Mom did help me relax a little when she posted her list of what she needs to get done before the kids arrive. (Shew! I am glad I don't have her 8 bulletin boards.) Maybe I should just listen to Teachergirl and go get a big bottle of Vodka. Would it be appropriate to get all boozed up and go to the school to work? hmmmm....


I think I have decided to just erase the memory of my classroom out of my mind until Monday. I need to be excited about going to my sister's to stay tomorrow night. I am sure we will stay up late talking, drinking, and laughing. We revert right back to high school students when we get together.....what FUN!!! (Don't laugh at the picture.....we were both VERY intoxicated.)

6 comments:

KatBouska said...

I love sisters!

Wouldn't it be easier to just pick up a bookshelf at Target? Or maybe push another book case over? Or maybe paint over it? I'm just sayin'.

Thanks for the love on my blog. Your comment was super sweet and made my day!

Oh and I actually don't have a photoshop program...it's whatever is on the Microsoft Windows 98 package. Yeah I know. Totally old school. Do you want to put it in front of your wall??

Wep said...

I feel your pain. I taught for 7 years and the WORST is when your room is a mess when you get there. Almost as bad as when they delivered 100 boxes of my art supplies on parent's night. There I was in my suit unpacking boxes. EWWW. Oh and there might be something wrong with drinking in the morning, but a little sauce at lunch is fine as long as there are no kids ;)

Wep

Finding Normal said...

The shit would sooo hit the fan if that was my room! I have major OCD issues as well. I can tell if someone touched my stapler. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

You're lucky to have a sister to hang with. I just have brothers and they're no fun at all! I can't even imagine coming in to find my room in that kind of shape! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Did I ever say thank you for visiting my blog?? IF not Thanks, I hope to see you again...I am thrilled you are a teacher...mind if I pick your brain once and again??

Lori said...

Found you through SITS... what a cute blog!

As far as drinking at work, I say if the kids are there, maybe not, but if school's not in session, go for it! Heck, leave the empty bottle on the floor and tell everyone it was left from summer school.